Universe is a groundbreaking survey that celebrates the popular subject of astronomy through 300 images created by those who have tried to understand - or who have been inspired by - the beauty and mystery of stars, planets, and beyond. Carefully chosen by an international panel of experts and arranged to highlight thought-provoking contrasts and similarities, the selection includes paintings, photographs, sculpture, animation, prints, sketches, and digital renderings with iconic works by renowned photographers, artists, and astronomers alongside previously unpublished finds.
- Paul Murdin has worked as an astronomer in the USA, Australia, England, Scotland, and Spain.
Previously a research scientist and a science administrator for the UK Government and the Royal Astronomical Society, he now works at the Institute of Astronomy at the University of Cambridge, England, and is visiting professor at John Moores University, Liverpool.
Key Selling Points.
- Following in the footsteps of bestselling Map:
Exploring the World and Plant: Exploring the Botanical World, Universe will appeal to both armchair and serious enthusiasts of space, astronomy, and the galaxies.
- Includes an international selection of 300 images, arranged in a uniquely structured sequence to create stimulating juxtapositions.
- Images span millennia, from ancient cave paintings and medieval manuscripts to contemporary art and photography, animation, and interactive websites.
- Includes iconic images by a diverse range of globally renowned artists and astronomers, such as, Nicolaus Copernicus, David Malin, Olafur Eliasson, Gallileo, Yayoi Kusama, Isaac Newton, Pablo Picasso, Gerhard Richter, and Wolfgang Tillmans.